Friday, September 19, 2008

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things




Melissa at the Inspired Room has set up a tour of Favorite Things this Autumn season.
Here are just a few of mine . . .


Family Gatherings
Cozy Sweaters
Spiced Cider - recipe below
Caramel Pumpkin Candles (Bath & Body Works)
Fireplace lit at night
Leaves changing their color
White pumpkins
Start of the Hockey Season (Let's Go Red Wings!)
Cool breezes and afternoon sunshine
Thanksgiving
Comfy bed with soft, soft sheets
Silk throws
Chai Tea
Oven baked goodies
Walking through crunchy, fallen leaves
Quilt Festivals
Color Tours
Shea Cashmere (Bath & Body Works)
Comfort Food
Sangria - recipe below

(Edited to add some recipes)

Mulled Cider

Taste of Home - try a FREE ISSUE today!

Field editor Glenna Tooman of Boise, Idaho dresses up apple cider using lemonade, orange juice, honey and spices. "It makes a welcome treat for a party," she notes.

SERVINGS: 18

CATEGORY: Beverages

METHOD: Other stovetop

TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
  • Dash ground cloves
  • 1 gallon apple cider or juice
  • 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 individual tea bag

Directions:

In a large kettle, combine the water, allspice, cinnamon stick and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Return just to a boil. Discard cinnamon stick and tea bag. Stir and serve warm. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).


Sangria

Dissolve together:
1/2 c. sugar
2 c. water

Combine:
2 c. orange juice
2 c. red wine
1/2 c. brandy

Add sugar water/mixture.

Garnish with orange, lime and lemon slices.
Chill overnight before serving.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I'm going to have to look for the caramel pumpkin candles- that sounds divine.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, yes! I broke out my fall sweater today. Am I helplessly head over heels with fall? I think so!

Thanks for sharing your list, so many Fall things to love! I'm glad you are a part of the fun. I love this.

Happy fall,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Love your list!

Spiced Cider....I've never tried that. Do you have a recipe? It sounds lovely.

White pumpkins - we don't get them here in the UK, but I love all the photos I've seen this year. I might have to grow some next year :)

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for adding the recipe, I've just copied into my files. I'll be making some for next weekend when we have friends over! :) xx

pam said...

Reading everyones list is making me more excited about fall to get it. Can't wait to dry your cider drink. Thanks for sharing.

Russ and Karla Patterson said...

Seems to me we have sat around your kitchen table having that mulled cider (or something very close to it) a time or two - great memories!!

Meghan said...

Sangria!!
Sangria!!
How did I forget that one!

Love your list.

sweet momma luv u said...

Hi Jill,

That is my sisters name! Love your list. Mulled spiced cider yum!! I forgot that one on my list. It is so funny to compare lists and realize you left something out.

Thanks for coming by my blog.
Enjoy the season!
Jody

Vee said...

Thank you for that mulled cider recipe. I love that stuff, but usually don't make it at home. Whyever not? Now I can!

Kathy said...

Love your Autumn list!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I make Quilts and love going to Quilt Festivals! Thanks for visiting my blog - hope to hear from you again...

Unknown said...

Your list even looks wind blown due to the slant of some text. Great list.

KJ